BRUNCH AT THE BODEGA
We know Sacramento loves brunch. So, with our newest installment at DISPLAY:California, we’re bringing brunch to the Bodega. We’ve partnered up with Sylvanna ‘Chef Syl’ Mislang of The Roaming Spoon to give you a preview of what you can expect on February 27th. We’ve put together a small photo gallery to tease your appetite. Doors open at 11am, and we’re pretty sure it will sell out. Just in case, you can find the recipes below.
Gunpowder Breakfast Tacos Ingredients:
- 2 Medium potatoes (Peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 2 Tofurky sausages
- ½ Red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 Rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Package firm Silken tofu
- 1/4 Dried oregano
- Bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil.
- Add potatoes and let it boil until fork tender. Drain and cool
- Cut Tofurky sausages into ½ inch moons
- In a frying pan use your favorite frying oil to coat the pan and put on medium heat.
- Add potatoes and cook unto they crisp then and Tofurky Sausage to cook along side
- Season with Other Brother Gunpowder seasoning and salt to taste
- In another pan warm up corn tortillas on both sides. Plate tortillas.
- Place potatoes and Tofurky sausage on tortillas and add pickled red onion and oregano crema on top.
- Top with the salsa of your choice and enjoy!
Quick Pickle Red Onion
- Combine onion, rice wine, and salt.
- Can be made 1 day in advance
- Combine silken tofu and dried oregano in a blender.
- Blend until smooth
- Salt to taste
Buckwheat Blini with Burly “Caviar”
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup organic, unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 11/4 cups nondairy milk (almond, soy, or rice)
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- Vegan butter or nonstick cooking spray, as needed
- Make the blini: In a medium bowl, combine the flours and baking powder. Whisk the nondairy milk and melted butter into the flour until a batter forms. Allow the batter to rest a few minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add a small dab of butter to the pan or spray it with nonstick cooking spray. To form each blini, pour a little more than a tablespoon of batter into the pan. You can usually cook 4 to 6 blini at a time.
- Wait until the pancakes begin to show air bubbles all over the tops and the bottoms are brown.
- Flip the blini over and cook until golden brown.
- Plate blini. *For plating we suggest a vegan yoghurt like vanilla coconut yoghurt and Maldon salt to garnish. Top with Burly Syrup “caviar”.
Burly Syrup “Cavair” Ingredients:
- ¼ Tapioca Pearls. Soaked for 30 minutes
- 1 cup Burly Syrup
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil and add tapioca pearls. Reduce to a low simmer until pearls become translucent.
- Drain and rinse pearls. Put in a small bowl and add Burly Syrup. For best results make 1 day prior.
Join us at DISPLAY: California for an elevated brunch and shopping experience with Chef Syl of the Roaming Kitchen. Brunch at the Bodega will take place on February 27, March 6th and March 20th, 2016. Attendees will enjoy small bites and drinks created using products sold exclusively at DISPLAY: California.